Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Free Pattern: Tunisian Scarf/Cowl

My first available pattern! well if you can even call it a pattern! it's a simple, beginners tunisian scarf/cowl. I made mine 90" long, which is enough to comfortably go around someone's neck three times and be buttoned. This was my first ever tunisian project and I'm very annoyed with myself that I waited this long to learn because it is EASY!


Tunisian Scarf/Cowl

Yarn: worsted weight approx 300-325 yards for a 90" scarf (I used Bernats Mosaic, I would suggest a variegate yarn to give it some character)
Hook: 6mm tunisian or regular hook (the scarf is narrow enough that a regular hook will work)
Notions: needle, 2 - 1" buttons
Size: 4.5" x 90" (or whatever size you want)

To make this scarf, you need to know how to do a few things in tunisian crochet: base row, tss (tunisian simple stitch), tps (tunisian purl stitch), and binding off (there are instructions all over the internet on how to do this, I found YouTube to be the easiest source to learn these stitches, I was going to try to explain them, but I'm a visual teacher and writing out the instructions wasn't working well!

Buttonhole: I improvised how to do this... tss to buttonhole, yarn over (yo) 2, skip 2, continue tss as normal, on return pass, work the yo the same as any other loop.

base row: 15
1: tss* (15)
2: tps* (15)
3-4: repeat rows 1-2
5-?: tss* (15)
work until desired length (mine was about 90")
1: tps* (15)
2: tss 3, buttonhole, tss 5, buttonhole, tss 3 (15)
3: tps* (15)
4: tss* (15)
bind off

Finishing: sew your buttons onto the starting edge of the scarf, make sure that they line up with the button holes. Sew in all your ends!

If you have any questions, please leave a comment or email me

2 comments:

  1. This is perfect for a starting project! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Found your pattern on Ravelry and can't wait to post the final product. Good luck to the rest of your pattern writings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on making one of these for myself in baby blue with a dark blue and light variegated blue yarns. I am truly looking forward to making this scarf/cowl. Thank you for posting this wonderful item.

    ReplyDelete