Friday, July 26, 2013

My New Cardigan!

I've always wanted to make clothing for myself. Due to my size though, I've always been discouraged by the fact that most patterns call for 5+ balls of yarn (I'm cheap) and also I'm impatient! There's a reason I mainly crochet tiny dolls and hats! But I was determined this past weekend to make something for me. I started out with the popular Chevron Lace Cardigan, then realized I didn't really like lace that much, or the zigzag bottom edge and that I was making it too big... so I frogged that one, and found the Brown Sugar Shrug pattern! This is more of a tutorial than a pattern. Kristi very clearly lays out what measurements you need, and how to create the garment so it'll fit you perfectly! It's also highly modifiable, which was a big plus for me, I wanted something that would hit a bit below my waist, with elbow length sleeves. This one is plain light grey, though I've drawn up a bunch of other colour variations that I'll hopefully be whipping up!



In case anyone is interested, here's the pattern I wrote up for my cardigan!

My Raglan Cardigan

Size: XXL or 18/20
Yarn: Red Heart Soft Touch (2 balls)
Hook: 6.5mm
Gauge: --- forgot to check, will update

Yoke & Body
ch 95
1: sc in 2nd ch, sc to end (94) turn
2: (dc 15, [dc, ch, dc]) x 2, dc 30, ([dc, ch, dc], dc 15) x 2 (98sts + 4ch) turn
3-11: dc in each dc, [dc, ch, dc] in each ch-sp* (should have 170sts + 4ch the end of r. 11) turn
12: dc 25, dc in ch-sp, sk 35 dc, fdc 10, dc in ch-sp, dc 50, dc in ch-sp, sk 35 dc, fdc 10, dc in ch-sp, dc 25 (124) turn
13-27: dc* (124) turn
28: sc around entire cardigan
finish off

Sleeve
Join yarn to a stitch from r. 12
1: dc 49, turn
2-6: dc* (49), turn
7: dc2tog, dc* (48), turn
8-9: dc*, turn
10: dc2tog, dc* (47), turn
11-12: dc*, turn
13: dc2tog, dc* (46), turn
14: sc*
finish off

No comments:

Post a Comment