Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Arts Matter Too!

I've been having a very hard time putting into words how I feel about the "Ravelympics" issue... for those who don't know what I'm talking about Ravelympics is an event that Ravelry has had during the past 2 Olympics, where in groups create things while watching the Olympics. It gives everyone a bit of an extra push to create awesome yarn art and something to do while watching sports on your TV. I've personally never participated because I don't like sports and am apparently too anti-social for even these types of events! 

The whole issue is that the United Sates Olympic Committee (USOC) have sent a cease and desist letter to Ravelry, over the term "Ravelympics". Apparently this term, which has been used since 2008, infringes on their copyright of the word "Olympics", because it uses part of the word... I find that ridiculous, but whatever, my main issue is with the wording of the letter they sent, specifically this section:

"We believe using the name “Ravelympics” for a competition that involves an afghan marathon, scarf hockey and sweater triathlon, among others, tends to denigrate the true nature of the Olympic Games.  In a sense, it is disrespectful to our country’s finest athletes and fails to recognize or appreciate their hard work." Read the full letter here (the USOC have apparently since apologized for the harsh wording)

 I've spent my entire life being treated like my skills are less impressive or important because they didn't involve me being able to run the fastest or jump the highest or twirl the fastest or take a large hard rubber ball being thrown at my head without flinching. I've been told for as long as I remember that I could never make a living using my art, and believed that, it's always been a hobby. I am now trying to make some money off my craft; I don't know if I'll even be able to live entirely off what my hands and head can create, but I would LOVE to! I do not understand, like many others out there, how it's AT ALL disrespectful to have some fun with your friends and turn knitting or crocheting in front of the tv while watching the Olympics into a competition. I find this much more respectful, than sitting there screaming at the tv and getting plastered! But maybe that's just me...

I don't think I managed to full capture what this has made me feel about what I do... I'll admit I do still have a hard time considering my crochet work as art, but I'm trying, because you know what, I AM an artist, and yarn is how I have chosen to express myself. And I, and every other artist out there is JUST as important as any athlete. We might not be as famous, or make as much money, but we are human beings with awesome talents and that means something! Not everyone can do what we do, I encourage everyone to try, but many can't (hell I still can't figure out how to knit, I've been trying to learn for like 20 years now).

2 comments:

  1. Fact of the matter is, some people are jerks. You are incredibly talented & what you are able to do is amazing! I think your abilities have every bit as much worth as Joe Blow throwing a javelin, like seriously, how is that useful in every day life? At least you can crochet useful things. Jerk wads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! Honestly, I don't want to come off as if I think that people who play sports etc are below artist, because entertainment serves it's purpose, just as pretty dolls and sweaters do. But it's just such a rude and unprofessional letter!

      Delete