Sunday, February 10, 2013

HtbaFB #2



Discussion
What do you love most about the word fat? How has the word fat evolved for you?

I love how simple it is. I spent many years having people impose names on my size (chunky, chubby, voluptuous, overweight, plus size) and none of them felt right. I'm too big to be chubby, I'm not curvy enough to be voluptuous, I'm just fat. It took me a long time to be okay with that word. My husband actually helped me a lot, knowing he finds me attractive even thought I'm fat, helped me see that it's not a bad word.* I'm working on getting better at others calling me fat. I'm generally okay when people do it now in a conversational manner, but when someone yells it from a car at me, I totally turn into a 13 year old again.

*I decided to look up some synonyms for the word "fat". I wasn't surprised by most of these words (I've been called many over the years) but the word that stood out was "gross". So "fat" = "gross" according to thesaurus.com. Good to know.


Assignment # 1
Reclaim the word fat and do something amazing with it. Make art, take photos of yourself with fat written on you, bake a cake with fat written in frosting, etc

I wouldn't call this amazing, but it's cute and practical! I crocheted a ❤ Fat ❤ cup cozie! This cup sleeve is crocheted flat, then buttons are sewn on and finally it's cross stitched!



❤ Fat ❤ Cup Cozie Pattern

Yarn: worsted weight (2 colours; 1 for crocheting, 1 for cross stitching)
Hook: 5mm
Other supplies needed: 2  buttons (approx 1/3-1/2" big), yarn needle

Finished size: 9" x 3 1/4"

Pattern:
ch 34
1: sc in 2nd ch, sc to end (33) ch, turn
2-13: sc in 1st st, sc to end (33) ch, turn
14: sc in 1st st, sc to end, turn cozie so you can work down the unfinished edge, slst 3, ch 8, sk 6 ch, sl st into last 2 chs, sl st 6 down the edge, ch 8, sk 6 ch, sl st into last 2 chs, sl st 3.
finish off

Finishing: use a long piece of yarn, to sew both your buttons on to the opposite side of the cozie (make sure they line up with the button holes). Sew in your ends.


Cross stitch:
Cut an 18" piece of yarn, following the graph below (design is un-centered on purpose, to make room for the buttons), cross stitch into your cozie (working into the corners around a stitch). You will need to cut 4 or 5 pieces of yarn to complete the whole design. (As you can tell I forgot to include the top and bottom X on the right hand side). Make sure any loose ends are sewn in.


And now you can hit up your local coffee shop and show off your fat pride!

4 comments:

  1. Um, you are cray. That is amazing! I need to break out the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make one, please post pictures!!! I'm really hoping I have the nerve to actually use mine in public!

      Delete
  2. I love this! Thank you for posting the pattern.
    I'm feeling all inspired!
    xx Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* thanks for the kind words! Let me know if you make one :)

      Delete